(NEWARK, NJ – July 28, 2015) Public Service Electric and Gas Co. (PSE&G) offers simple and easy ways customers can stay cool and safe as temperatures and humidity rise during the season’s third official heat wave.
The state’s largest utility is also monitoring weather conditions and has additional personnel on hand to handle any power interruptions. PSE&G’s call centers also have extra personnel on duty to speak with customers. And appliance service technicians stand ready to quickly respond to an influx of air conditioning repair calls.
To stay cool, safe and save energy, PSE&G recommends the following easy, simple steps:
- Use a programmable thermostat to set air conditioners to your daily and weekend schedule. Consider setting air conditioners to 78 degrees, health permitting.
- Close blinds, shades and draperies facing the sun to keep the sun’s heat out and help fans and air conditioners cool more efficiently.
- Use ceiling fans set in the counter-clockwise position to feel cooler when in a room.
- Close doors leading to uncooled parts of your home. With central air, close off vents to unused rooms.
- Turn off everything you’re not using: lights, TVs, computers, etc. Use dimmers, timers and motion detectors on indoor and outdoor lighting.
- Delay heat-producing tasks such as washing and drying laundry or dishes until later in the day, and wait until load is full.
- Refrain from using nonessential appliances. Unplug or use only when necessary an extra refrigerator in your garage.
- If you should lose power, NEVER use a portable generator inside your home or in close proximity to a home, business or enclosed space. Proper ventilation is required. Improperly used generators can produce deadly carbon monoxide (CO), an odorless, tasteless gas that can cause headache, dizziness, nausea and other symptoms.
PJM, the regional grid operator, expects to have sufficient power supplies available to meet the increased demand for electricity. PSE&G expects today’s electric demand to reach 8,905 megawatts, with demand increasing tomorrow as temperatures are expected to rise into the mid-90s.
If you experience a power outage, it is important that you call PSE&G’s Customer Service line: 1-800-436-PSEG. Customers who are registered with My Account can also report power outages online. To do so, Log In now or register. During this extreme weather, follow us on Twitter at https://twitter.com/
# # #
Public Service Electric and Gas Company (PSE&G) is New Jersey’s oldest and largest regulated gas and electric delivery utility, serving nearly three-quarters of the state’s population. PSE&G recently received the ReliabilityOne Award for superior electric system reliability in the Mid-Atlantic Region. PSE&G is a subsidiary of Public Service Enterprise Group Incorporated (PSEG) (NYSE:PEG), a diversified energy company (www.pseg.com).
Visit PSEG at: