Fresh Trees Can Be Made Safer
Evergreens can be treated with a fire retardant product such as spectra-shield, which will greatly slow down the flame spread.
Example: In testing by Northeast Testing Laboratories, Inc. samples were introduced into 2000°F flame for five (5) seconds, then removed and left in a horizontal position. All three samples self-extinguished in less than fire (5) seconds.
- Be bright about lights! Don’t use lights with worn insulation, broken plugs and loose sockets. They can cause fires, shocks and even electrocution!
- Be careful when hanging several light strings together. You could have an overload situation. Remember all lighting inside and out, should be turned off before going to bed!
- Are the stockings hung from the chimney with care? Be especially careful if there’s a cozy fire going in the fireplace.
- Speaking of fireplaces, be sure the opening is covered with a sturdy metal screen or heat tempered glass doors. This reduces the chances of a fire from escaping sparks or wood.
- When the Holidays are over, take the tree down. Everyday it stands in the house, it gets a little drier.