Election & Voter Registration Information

Contact Us

Jeffrey Jotz
Municipal Clerk

Phone: 732-827-2100
Fax: 732-815-1417

Frequently Asked Questions


When are the elections?

  • The Primary Election is held on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in June
  • The General Election is held on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November

What time are the polls open?

  • Primary and General Election – 6:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.

What are the guidelines to register to vote?

  • You must be 18 years of age by the election.
  • You must be a Citizen of the United States
  • You must reside in the State of New Jersey and the City of Rahway at least 30 days prior to the election.

To be eligible to vote in the next election, when must I register?

  • You must register any time prior to the 20th day before any election to be eligible to vote in that and subsequent elections.

Where do I register?

If I cannot register in person, how can I register?

  • You can register by mail. An application can be obtained from the City Clerk, Board of Elections or Union County Clerk or by clicking here.

Where do I vote?

  • You can search on the New Jersey Division of Elections Web Site.
  • The sample ballot you receive from the County Clerk’s Office will tell you where to vote.
  • You may contact the City Clerk’s Office.
  • To view and/or download the City of Rahway ward map, click here.

Will I ever have to Re-register?

  • Voter registration in New Jersey is permanent except when a voter has moved from the County in which they are registered.
  • A voter who moves within the same election district remains registered and may be allowed to vote for two years.
  • If a voter moves within the County within 29 days preceding the election, they may vote at their newly designated polling place by means of a Provisional Ballot.
  • To see if you are a registered voter in the State of New Jersey, check the New Jersey voter registration database.

What if I will not be in town on election day?

Please click here to download and print out a vote-by-mail ballot application.  The County Clerk must receive your completed application no less than seven days before the election by mail or by 3 p.m. the day before the election in person.

I am in the military, how do I vote?

Military personnel & dependent may vote by Military Absentee Ballot if:

  • You are in the Military Service.
  • You are a spouse or dependent of someone in the military.
  • You are a patient in a VA Hospital.
  • You are a civilian attached to the armed services .

How do I change my party affiliation?

  • A Party Declaration Form must be filled out. This may be obtained from either the Union County Board of Elections or the City Clerk.  Please click here to download and print out a Party Declaration form.
  • Party Declaration forms must be received by the Union County Board of Elections no later than 50 days prior to the Primary.

Should you have any questions regarding elections or where to go to vote, please contact the City Clerk’s Office at 732-827-2100.

Looking for information on How to Vote in New Jersey?