Division of Land Use

Contact Us

Phone: 732-827-2193
Fax: 732-680-1375

Elton Armady
Economic Development Officer

The Planning and Zoning Office reviews all applications for development to ensure they meet the requirements of the City’s Land Development Ordinance and the New Jersey State Municipal Land Use Law. This includes zoning permit applications and all applications submitted to the Planning Board and Zoning Board of Adjustment.


The purpose of zoning is to guide the appropriate use or development of all lands, to regulate population density, and to provide adequate, light, air, and open space. Some general zoning violations include; the parking of large trucks or tractor-trailers in residential areas; parking vehicles on illegal driveways; structures erected too close to property lines; illegal conversions of basements into dwelling units; and conducting a business from a residential property.
Zoning permits are required for all sheds, fences, pools, driveways, parking areas, signs, and for all additions to commercial or residential buildings.  A zoning permit is also required for a change in use, and a Certificate for Approval of Continued Occupancy.

Applications for zoning permits may take up to 10 working days for approval or denial.  If a zoning permit is denied, the applicant has the right to apply to the appropriate land development board for a variance.  The cost of a zoning permit is twenty ($20.00) dollars.


The Division oversees the city’s CDBG program, which provides funding for many worthwhile activities and projects throughout the City of Rahway.  Funds are used for: senior citizen programs, code enforcement, playground renovations, street resurfacing, public improvements and home improvement loans. All Community Development Block Grant projects, are made possible by a grant from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.

The City of Rahway offers a $25,000.00, 0% interest, deferred home improvement loans to eligible residents.  Typical repairs include roofs, windows, heating, painting, siding, kitchens and bathrooms. The program is available to owner-occupants of one or two-family homes whose gross income meets the federal requirements for low-moderate income residents.

In addition, a new $5,000 Grant is available to qualified Senior Citizens for minor home improvements! Please call (732) 827-2193 for additional information.


View documents related to the City’s Master Plan

Master Plan (2008)
Master Plan Reexamination (2019)


Download an application for:

Home Improvement Loan
Senior Citizen Grant
Zoning Permit Application – Residential
Zoning Permit Application – Commercial
Zoning Board of Adjustment Application
Planning Board Application