Rahway COVID-19 Small Business Recovery Strategy

The City of Rahway continues to proactively maximize outdoor space for businesses and provide safe areas for customers. Businesses that wish to use City Space for classes can reserve space in selected locations for free.

How to Apply

  • The schedule is on a first-come-first-served basis. 
  • Reservations must be received 48 hours in advance of the requested class time.
  • Fill out an application for space request: Outdoor Class Schedule Application. Classes may be scheduled Monday through Saturday from 6 am to 8 pm. Sunday from noon- 8 pm.
  • Classes between the hours of 6 am-8 am are subject to the Rahway Noise Ordinance. We ask you to keep volumes of music and talking to low levels out of respect to the neighbors adjacent to the spaces.
  • Classes cannot be more than 45 minutes allowing 15 minutes for the change over in between classes.
  • Back-to-back class times are allowed.

Businesses Require

  • Certificate of Additionally Insured: Insurance in the amount of $1,000,000 naming the City of Rahway, The County of Union; The Rahway Redevelopment Agency; Rahway Arts and Business Partnership; and the Union County Performing Arts Center, Inc. as an additional insured.
  • Hold Harmless Agreement Signed.

Rules Regarding the Space

  • Social Distancing Rules apply.
  • Each space will have no more than the maximum amount of participants in compliance with Social Distancing requirements.
  • Masks and face-covering are required.
  • Please advise your students that there will be NO bathroom facilities at the Gallery Space and Bridge Street locations.
  • Bring your own equipment. Note: There is no access to power.
  • Please respect the space by cleaning up the location when you are finished, including water bottles, trash, etc.
  • Pre-registration through the business is required. Only registered participants may attend.


  • Hamilton Stage Parking Lot - (max 22 participants)
  • Bridge Street -Pedestrian Bridge (off the intersection of Main St and Poplar) (max 30 participants) * NO bathroom facility
  • Train Station Plaza Stage (max 11 participants)
  • The Gallery Space - Grassy area (max 14 participants) * NO bathroom facility
  • The Gallery Space- Parking lot (max 11 participants) *NO bathroom facility

Note: The Gallery Space locations are adjacent and sound may carry.

Governor Murphy announced that eateries in the state will be allowed to offer outdoor dining starting June 15, 2020, as the state enters the second stage of reopening. Restaurants must abide by the Outdoor Dining Protocols and Process to Expand Premises for Liquor License Holders outlined in the Governor's Executive Order 150 (PDF) and New Jersey Department of Health Executive Directive 20-041.

Special Permit Applications for Outdoor Dining & Retail

As part of an effort to support the local economy, the city of Rahway has determined some local restaurants and or retailers may be able to temporarily establish outdoor seating for their establishments, on a case-by-case, limited basis, to expand the areas for outdoor operations. The temporary use permit is only for establishments with an active mercantile license from the city of Rahway. The temporary use permit is only valid during normal business hours. There is no fee for a temporary use permit for qualifying businesses.

Temporary use permits shall be restricted to normally permitted current zoning activity and shall be related to the principal commercial activities in operation on the subject property. Temporary use permits shall not be issued to occupy unimproved properties or areas identified as open space, preserve, drainage or detention areas, or landscape buffers. Safe ingress and egress shall be provided to the site, including emergency access measures at all times. If the applicant does not own the area, a letter from the property owner granting permission to utilize the subject area identified within the temporary use permit, during the requested time period, shall be provided by the applicant. View Outdoor Retail Sales Permit (PDF) or Outdoor Dining Usage Permit (PDF).